Written by Michael Palomba
The City of Santee turned 40 today! The story of Santee began in 1980 when residents reversed their decision from 1976 and voted to become an incorporated territory of San Diego County. 1980 was also the year that the citizens of Santee voted for their first 5 person city council. Those members were: Gene Ainsworth (Mayor), E.T. “Woodie” Miller (Vice Mayor), Jim Bartell, Jan Claussen, and Roy Woodward.
The city, which started out as just a small town, now boasts commercial centers, a business community, thousands of residents, and loads of recreational activities.
To celebrate its 40th year of cityhood, many local businesses will be giving out some sweet treats.
NBC 7 compiled a list which includes:
- Santee City Hall – From 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., gourmet treats by Lantern Crest’s Executive Chef Mario Esparza
- Bagel & Donut Bar — From 6 a.m. to 8 p.m., donut holes for children and classic bagel with cream cheese for adults
- Baklava King — From 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. (at Santee City Hall), variety of baklava
- Bowls N Brews — From 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., waffle toast
- Chick-fil-A — From 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. (at Santee City Hall), brownies
- Dairy Queen – From 11 a.m. to 8 p.m., small soft serve cone of either chocolate or vanilla
- Eccentric International Chefs – From 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., mini cupcakes and cookies, and macaroons
- Go Get Yogurt – From 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m., birthday-size frozen yogurt with one topping
- Honey Donuts — Open 24 hours, donuts, coffee, hot chocolate, muffins or cookies
- Kravings Fruit Bar — From 10:30 a.m. to 8 p.m., acai cup, fruit cup, bionico, strawberries and cream or charranjo
- Mahalo Shave Ice Co – From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., mini Hawaiian treats
- Mary’s Donuts – Open 24 hours, donuts
- NatSweets – From 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., chocolate chip or birthday cake cookie or a scoop of ice cream
- The Coffee Corner — From 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Belgian waffles and mini acai bowls
- The Cupcake Store – From 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., mini cupcakes
- Whipped Cake Shop – From 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., gingerbread cheesecake bites.
- The Wrap Shack — From 10:30 a.m. to 7 p.m., free cookie with any purchase