The People For Educational Justice –Keep The Promise Press Conference & Protest
San Diego, CA – The People for Educational Justice is holding a press conference and mobile protest rally on Tuesday, Jan 12th, 3:45 pm at the Board of Education located at 4100 Normal Street. Attendees: Speakers from Community advocates, teachers, parents, and administrators
We demand that the San Diego Unified School District protect Black and Brown students and Teachers at Gompers Preparatory Academy by continuing to honor the PERMANENTLY ESTABLISHED ON-LOAN AGREEMENTS OF GPA’s DIRECTOR, LEADERS, AND VETERAN STAFF Vince Riveroll, Lisa Maples, Paz Garcia, and Judith Franceschi. Tuesday, January 12, 2021 the SDUSD Board votes to cancel these agreements thereby violating the civil rights of students access to a quality education. Doesn’t District E in southeastern San Diego deserve a college going education like other schools North of 8?
- In 2005, Gompers was one of the worst-performing public schools in San Diego
- Community leaders fought and won to make Gompers Prep a public charter school
- The District committed to awarding the charter providing resources which included the on-loan agreements for these educational leaders for the life of the charter. The agreement stipulated that school improvements would be addressed and the school becomes a model District E school.
- For the last 16 years, under the leadership of these educational experts, GPA has become a nationally recognized campus and is district E’s top performing school where nearly all of the students graduate College eligible.
- GPA’s successful track record has attracted teachers from all over San Diego County with the willingness to acquire the academic best practices and techniques to educate Black and Brown students in an urban community school. 86% of GPA teachers signed the on – loan agreement petition in support of these educational experts.
When: Tuesday, January 12, 2021 from 3:45 pm
What: A press conference and mobile protest rally includes community advocates, parents and teachers
Where: Board of Education 4100 Normal Street
The People for Educational Justice was formed to strengthen the voice of the disenfranchised community in District E and to transform and revitalize public education, so every child receives a quality public education, with a focus on Black and Brown students South of the 8!
Ellen Nash, Chair BAPAC SD
Interim Chair Leon Williams San Diego County Human Relations Commission
Associate Pastor Faith Tabernacle Church of God in Christ
District 4 Resident and Gompers Alumni, Parent
(619) 665 – 3878